Friday, January 10, 2014

When it Rains....its a Torrential Downpour


It is officially one of those weeks. On Monday my old boss told me that he was going to extend my leave without pay an additional 6 months. I told him it wasn't necessary but he did it anyway. Well on Wednesday at 2:30, I went to a meeting and was told I was being laid off. Due to issues with our grants and limited budget, my position was no longer available. I laughed it off, knowing it was always a possibility and knowing I had a backup.

My direct supervisor was my first call before I even called my family and I could sense the anger and pain she felt. I think she is taking it the hardest. It wasn't until last night when I realized that I wouldn't have insurance and that it would be difficult to afford my medication, that I began to get worried.

But all of this has magnified now that there is a possibility that even my backup at the government isn't a guarantee. Its amazing how so much stuff can pile up on you with such little notice. My birthday is the 22nd and I have repairs for my car and my brother was hoping we could go on a family trip to Miami for my dad's birthday. I just feel pretty overwhelmed at the moment.

Everyone keeps assuring me that because I'm smart and have experience, I should be able to find a job before long. I still have a month. But the way that I see it, there is no guarantee that I'll have anything. I'm not sure how to feel about that but I know that I don't like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment