Luckily, I was able to work with my mentor/adviser/new best bud Caryn who is already in the program. She gave me some pointers and she helped walk me through my thought process in order to better come up with my question. I was honestly having a hard time with working through it through email. So it was good actually talking with her.
Part of me feels like maybe I should wait another year after this experience but it was all constructive criticism that was necessary. I surprisingly took it a lot better than I thought, probably because I already knew how ill prepared I was.
I will say I am EXTREMELY proud of the interns for their level of preparedness and I can't wait to see what they do with their topics.
Top things I learned today:
- Do not take criticism personally. They are there to help you.
- Practice makes perfect. Being told the majority of your life what to write makes coming up with your own topic that much harder.
- Never buy school food. Why exactly did I spend 3.25 on a bag of gummy bears and 2.75 for a PB&J sandwich?
- Make eye contact! I'm getting to the point where I'm really struggling with this when conveying my message. I have to look people in the face more when I am talking instead of only when they are talking.
- Getting free things is fun. Thank you Panera for the free smoothie.